Monday, August 29, 2011

until that morning

It's midnight in Atlanta. I'm sitting in the "living room" at a mixing studio, which consists of a table with three chairs, and a couch facing a blank orange wall. Mixing a record is monotonous and maddening simultaneously, and also really fun and exciting. At least, fun and exciting for me; of course, I am usually in the other room while Damien mixes. He's been working on the same song for three hours.

To reset my ears, between sessions, I've been listening to Sam Cooke's greatest hits. The nights are hot and sultry down here, and after many years of sitting on the fence, I've finally settled on my favorite version of "Summertime".


1 comment:

  1. Sam Cooke is great as always...but the b/u vox sound a little off.
    I kinda like Billy Stewart's version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDLDl0_pt_k

    ReplyDelete